Monday, March 06, 2006

I love mountain biking. I ride a pretty solid Cove Hummer, It's a titanium hardtail I'v modified to be stronger and tougher, sacrificing lightness for durability. I'm a big guy, I'm hard on bikes. I've broken the frames of the last two mountain bikes I've had...both fairly high-end full suspension models.

My Cove has a straight guage titanium frame, when most are butted. A butted frame has it's tubing wall thickness manipulated, making the bike lighter where the strengh needs and forces are less. Cove states they've never had a Hummer frame returned due to breakage... they use heavier, thicker tubes. Yes, you lose the light/whippy feel of a truly light Ti frame, but I want toughness over lightness.

It's treated me well. I have a 5 inch travel front Fox fork, Oversize front disc brake, XTR running gear, tough rims and 2.4 inch wide tires.

I like mountainbiking so much because riding is much like bike selection....you get to choose how hard you'll push yourself, both physically and mentally. You balance effort with reward, risk with satisfaction. You can go solo, or have fun with like minded idiots.

The following shots are primarily from a photographer called Martin Blissig, and they're a nice cross section of mountainbiking today. The NSMB in the pics is " North Shore Mountain Biking", a website that embraces the more adventurous aspect of riding a bike.





Not as tough as it looks, but it takes commitment to disregard to consequences of the drop.



Built obstacles are becoming more and more elaborate. This one makes you enter, use your pedalling to spin the wheel until the opening points to the exit area, then you pedal out.



Scenery.



Suspension allows riders to routinely tackle drops that would fold earlier machines in half.



More pretty scenery...



Urban riding adds manmade obstacles and unyielding concrete to the mix.



Suspension and tire tech allows you to drift the rear end around to blast down the trail. Reserved for racecourses as this technique tears up the terrain, it's a good way to pivot the bike through a turn at speed



This guy's doing what I do quite a bit....AKA, " taking a soil sample "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home