Saturday, May 06, 2006

I'm a dog owner.

Due to my life, a large dog just wouldn't be a sensible proposition, to me, nor the dog. So, I own a Bichon Frise....20lbs of white puffball.

As per our preconcieved rules, the dog does not get treated like a little white dog, he goes on hikes, does NOT wear clothes, and is not treated like a little human. He's filthy more than primped, he's a happy DOG.

One trait he has shown recently is territorialism, he'll bark at visitors. Not so bad. But, he'll also bark at squirrels, possums, cats, and occasionally dogs passing by on the street.

Since our household maintains odd hours, our dog does too, it's as common for him to be up at 3 am as 3 pm. So... barking at possums in the backyard at 3am is not acceptable behaviour.

I think I've found the soultion. This little gadget puts out an "unpleasant" ultrasonic tone when it detects a dog bark, hopefully evoking the pavlovian association that barking is not a rewarded behaviour. Watch this space for the update as we try to train our guard dog.

Want your own??

ClickHere