Saturday, April 11, 2009

Woman's love of tofu too obscene for vanity plate




Does that seem obscene to you? If it does, you might want to apply for a job at the Colorado Department of Revenue (DOR). When mother-of-three Kelley Coffman-Lee requested this combination of letters for a vanity license plate, she was turned down.

While Kelley wanted the world to know just how much she loves tofu, the DOR saw it as a profession of love for something else entirely. "I-LV-TOFU" was deemed too risque, the DOR thinking it could be misinterpreted as "I-LV-TO-F-U."

Coffman-Lee is a vegan, and as she puts it, "I'm very expressive. I'm anti-fur, anti-rodeo, anti-circus when they come to Denver, and I thought, 'Here's a chance to be positive and say I love something.'" She even says that a friend at People for the Ethical Treatment of Animal (PETA) liked the idea so much they were willing to pay the $60 plate fee.

Alas, the Colorado Department of Revenue turned her down. While she doesn't plan to take the matter to court, she does say she'll continue to speak out about mistreating animals.

Source

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home