Wednesday, September 10, 2008



And just WHEN did that happen?


I realized today that here, in this city, I’m immune to the sight of a body lying beside the road.

Yep, sprawled on the sidewalk, under a bridge, right next to the street was a body. I didn’t even give it a second thought at the time, it’s such a normal part of the cityscape that I scarcely noticed.

Homeless? Drunk? An addict? An accident? Medical problem? Crime victim? What if they needed help? What if I could have made a difference?

I don’t know. Experience and subtle clues when I thought about it later said, “chronically homeless”, and I well know the ineffectiveness of any help I could give there…and therefore generally don’t…but the point is that I was well down the road before I even realized what I had seen.

Not my finest hour.

A body would have had my full attention in the past…now I scarcely noticed.

Just when the HELL did that happen?

This is a night for nightmares and demons I suspect.

Sheesh. What’s this city doing to me?

Source

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home