Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Once upon a time, a guy had a bike. It was pretty, a custom painted VFR.

OOps...

This story begins at the end of last year. Heading out for one last good ride of the season, I pull out of my driveway, wave hi to the neighbors, look for oncoming traffic at the stop sign, and look back straight again, only to become blinded by the setting sun. When I finally realize where the road is, I am happily greeted by the curb and end up dumping the bike right there in the street, effectively destroying months of hard work and the right side of the bike.

Completely disgusted by my utter stupidity, I put the bike out of sight & mind for a week, but my inner hot rodder doesn't stay quiet for long. I realize that because of the crash, I can do some things differently than I did before -- tweak the bodywork a bit more, build a custom exhaust, and most importantly, if I have to take all the body panels off again, why not add one of these:

P.S., it's a supercharger!! Lots and lots of custom work to make it fit, but it's a REALLY nice job. Here's the parts....
Tucked above the front cylinder bank...
Almost buttoned up...
Lookit that horsepower!!!


I think he likes it...

OH. MY. GOODNESS. GRACIOUS.

This is all I can say. VFRs were never supposed to have this much power, but boy-oh-boy does the chassis handle it well!!

I don't know if you guys can tell, but I'm quite pumped. I went out for a 35 mile ride on some nice smooth backroads with no traffic, and decided to test the upper rpm range out for the first time. WOOOHOOOO!

Let's just say that at 10000rpm the bike is pulling ~6.25psi, and at 11000 it jumps to 7.25psi, which is right where I wanted it to land. No pinging, no blown engine, no blown head gasket, just the sweet sweet sound of the rotrex spinning at full tilt and the short 'psst' of the BOV in-between shifts. The acceleration is remarkable. Breathtaking. Can you say 3rd gear power wheelies? On a VFR??

What does this all mean power-wise? Well Fixer, I think this bike is going to come very close to your gix's power numbers -- I'll find out tomorrow when I hopefully strap it on the dyno and get some preliminary runs in. I can't believe how good the fueling is in the upper rpm range. Actually, the fueling is quite good everywhere, except for a lower rpm 10% throttle stumble/surge that I still need to iron out, but beyond that, this bike runs terrific.

I was literally having a hard time keeping the front end on the ground in 2nd with the throttle pinned past 7 grand -- the thing just puuuullllllllllllls. I am seriously contemplating changing the gearing around since 6th gear now feels like 4th, and I find the bike tacked up quite often! Not to mention that 1-2 shift coming awfully quickly...

I weigh 220lbs -- a 150lb rider would not know what to do with themselves on this bike.


Detailed post with lots of pics and information is Here.

The tech behind the Rotrex unit, the newest type of supercharger on the market is Here.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home