Sunday, August 19, 2007



6ft tent pole spears girl of 16

A girl was speared in the face by a 6FT tent pole on a camping trip.

Rachel Worthington, 16, needed three hours of surgery after the metal pole pierced the top of her mouth and came out through her cheek.

It was thought to have been thrown by a 15-year-old lad in her group who had been larking about.

She had been talking to two of her friends at Waddecar Scout Camp in Goosnargh, Lancs, when the accident happened.

Rachel, of Preston, was rushed to hospital by air ambulance on Wednesday before being allowed home the following day.

She said: “I was just sat chatting and the next thing I knew I woke up and there was a pole in my face.

“One of the lads was messing about with a gazebo pole and threw it in the air and I just looked towards it as it came down. I remember waking up with all these voices around me. It was excruciating.

“It was absolutely horrible, like I had been knifed in the face.

“I’m taking antibiotics now but it is upsetting when I see myself.

“It was just an unfortunate accident, he didn’t do it on purpose.”

This column came from The Sun Online, a UK newspaper. The reason it made it here is that one of the comments I'd read about the incident was....

More fun than you can stake a chick at.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home