Monday, February 05, 2007

This is a Sherman tank engine. 500 HP, 1050 torque. This bit is about a guy who's putting one in his Ford Mustang. Yeah.
Just thought I'd share some before and after pictures of my Ford GAA tank engine. All aluminum 1100 cubic inch V8 used in WWII Sherman Tanks. These were gas burners rated at 500 HP and 1050 Ft. Lbs. of torque for military service, but are capable of much much more using mostly stock parts. They feature a 60 degree vee, 5.4 bore x 6.0 stroke, 180 degree factory billet cranks, pent roof combustion chambers, shaft driven DOHC's, 4 valves per cylinder, and dual mags. They are pretty high tech. engines, especially considering they were built in the early 40's. I've been working on getting one of mine going for the last couple of years, and should be cranking it within a week or so.
It's setting in my 70 Mustang right now which I plan on taking on short cruises when finished, 24 gallons of alcohol wont go very far. It is bolted to a heavily modified Powerglide right now. Wilcap ( Pat McGuire ) built the adapter and flexplate for me.
If you've been reading my ramblings for any amount of time you know this REALLY appeals to my gearhead side, I'll be keeping watch on the development. Original blurb is here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home