Friday, September 15, 2006

So, I recently climbed Mount Adams here in Washington, all 12 276 ft of it. One of the slight downers was that I lost my camera and headlamp out of a backpack pouch during some glissade. I'd written it off, but left my name at the Ranger station regardless. A few days later I get a call from a guy saying he's got something of mine... He found both, and mailed them back to me. Ted, whoever you are, a thousand thanks.. Amazingly, the camera is still alive. Here are the "Lost" pics from my climb. This is a huge post, click on the pics to make them big.

Yours truly at about 7000 ft, Mount Hood in the background.


The first true scramble up loose rock. Again, Mt Hood sticking his nose in the shot...


Almost to the Lunch Counter, the evening's campsite. Long shadows, golden light.


Our campsite, ringed with stacked rock to cut down on the gusting winds and cold.


Looking up toward the false summit, enjoying the last rays of the sun.


The sunset was spectacular, colors lit up the sky. Lots of pics. Small bump is Mt. St. Helens.


Mt. Hood and the moon, glowing red light.


Last rays of the day, the stream off the snowfield in the foreground was our water source for the day.


Sorry, I don't know how this ugly shot got in here....scroll past it fast.


This one too... Goodnight..


Good Morning, awoke to pink haze in the valley.


Colors at altitude are magnified somehow....


Mt. St. Helens, coming out of Adam's shadow. An Early morning hiker...he said he'd left his car at 3 a.m.


Cloud filled valley below, already getting hot. Ended up burning my forearms and septum of my nose from the reflection off the snow, I used sunscreen, but not in the right places.


View from the top...small glacier sliding off the eastern side.


My " Mountain Man" pose, Ranier's flank in the background.


Another glacier falling in extreme slo-mo.


Met a few like-minded souls on the top, here we contemplate the crevasses below. Mount Ranier cluttering up the background... You know those guys who always ruin photos by jumping into the background... yeah, like that.


Makes you feel small....


I like plunging down loose scree slopes...SO much easier that climbing.


Prepare to glissade.....lookout below.


Wet, cold, bumpy, slightly dangerous fun. This is how to descend a mountain.



Scroll down a few posts for more pics. If you want. Or don't. I don't really care. It's my blog, after all. Ted, thanks again.

P.S. Ted returned over 350.00 worth of gear to me, plus whatever he paid for postage. I've never met Ted, nor he me. What would you think would be an adequate cash reward/thanks that I could send to him??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home